In today’s world of new technology and advanced communicating methods, having an email account is very important. On the internet, you will find many web-based email services and you are free to choose whichever you like. However, the most popular among all of them are Gmail, provided by Google itself. It comes with fifteen gigabyte of storage, less spam and great facilities to help you connect with the outer world. You can set up your own Gmail account from a number of devices like mobiles, computers, laptops and more.
How to setup Gmail from your computer?
In order to do any kind of work, be it personal or professional, we always give our first preference to a computer, whether it is a desktop or a laptop. Setting up a Gmail account is a lot easier from these devices compared to others. Explained below are the steps following which you can easily set up a Gmail account from your computer.
- Type www.Gmail.com in the URL Window or what is also called the address bar of the search engine page. If you are starting from the Google page you will see an option called Gmail at the top of the screen. Once you click on it, you will see a page on which there will be an option “Create an account” on the lower, right-hand side of the screen.
- This step is a long step, though you have to do it only once. You will see an online form of Gmail which you have to fill in order to set up your account. Firstly, you have to put in your first and last name in the box.
- Next, you need to enter your login name. This has to be something that isn’t already in use. It might be a little difficult if your name isn’t that unusual. You can try combinations of your first and last names, initials, etc. You can also put periods between your name in order to make it unique. While entering your desired login name, keep clicking check availability until you find the right one.
- Once done with it, choose a password. You should be careful and choose such a password that no one can easily crack into your Gmail account. After setting up the password, a security question will appear on the screen. The security question is a process of Google verifying if it’s actually you asking if you forget your password. So enter such a question whose answer can easily be recollected by you in case of emergency.
- The recovery mail is kind of a backup mail that helps if you cannot sign in to your Gmail account. If you have any other mail address, fill it in this box. If not, you need not to worry. It can also be left blank.
- In the location box, you need to enter the name of the country you live in. Choose the correct location from the drop-down menu and fill the box. Next, fill your birthday in the desired space given.
- The word verification is very important as it makes sure that a human being is filling up the form and not any computer. Type the string of letters you see into the box provided below the given text. Next, you will be given the Terms and Conditions. If you agree with them, click “I Accept. Create my account”. Your account will be created then in Gmail.
Once your mail account is set up, whenever you want to access your mail click on the Gmail option on the Google page and you will be automatically directed to your mail inbox. As you are logged in from your computer, it becomes easier to reply to and compose emails.
How to setup Gmail from Android device?
Setting up a Gmail account is equally important to that on the computer as your device is something you carry always with you. Thus it becomes much easier to check and reply to emails from your mobile itself if you are a busy person. The steps to setup Gmail from your Android Device are stated below.
- Go to the Settings in your Android Device and click on the option “Accounts”. You will receive an option “Add Account”. As you want to set up a Gmail account, choose Google. You will be shown to add an existing account or create a new one. Click on ‘Existing’ if you want to add an existing account.
- If you want to add an existing account, enter your email id and password in the desired box provided. After you enter it, you will be asked to sync your Gmail account. Select the ones you want to sync with your account and click on Save. Your account will be set up in Gmail within a few seconds.
- If you want to create a new account, tap on “New”. You will be shown on your screen the option to create a new account.
- First, you have to enter your first and last name in the box given. Tap “Next” when done. Then enter your birthday and after specifying your gender in the next step, click “Next”.
- In the following page, you will be asked to choose a new username of your choice. You can enter your full name with periods, numbers etc depending on your wish.
- Next, you need to choose a password to secure your Gmail account. Choose a strong password comprising of letters, symbols, and numbers. Confirm your password. After setting up your password you will be asked to provide your phone number which helps in resetting a password if you forget it someday. You may also skip this step if you want.
- You will be provided with their Privacy and Terms. If you agree with it, select “I Agree”. It will take a few seconds before your account is set up in Gmail.
Accessing your Gmail account will be easier if you install the Gmail application in your Android Device. In many devices nowadays, this application is already installed when the device is purchased.