Do you have an excess Gmail account that you want to delete? Are you looking at tips and easy procedure to delete the Gmail account from your phone or computer? Well, this guide will give you all the details that you need to know as far as removing or deleting Gmail email account is concerned.
Deleting a Gmail account
The following is the procedure to delete a Gmail account that you are no longer using. Along with the deletion of this Gmail account, you will also delete all the other things associated with this Gmail address.
- Open the web browser and type myaccount.google.com in the address page. You will be directed to the Google account page where you can access the Google settings for the particular Gmail address.
- If you have not signed into Gmail, then the Google account settings page will ask you for the username and the password to proceed further.
- Enter the necessary details in the respective spaces and then click ‘Enter’ to get access to the Settings page of the Gmail address.
Look for the ‘Account Preferences’ option in this page and select the ‘Delete your account or services’ option in the menu list under this option. Once done, you will find an option of ‘Delete Products’ in the Delete your accounts or services menu. Click on it and then press the trash can image next to the Gmail option. There will be a prompt that says that deleting this Gmail account will automatically delete all the contacts, messages, and data on the device.
- Give your yes for the removal of the Gmail email account.
- Now, Google would ask you to enter an alternate email address that is associated with this Gmail account that you want to close.
- If you have entered the secondary email address while signing up for this Gmail email account, then it will be taken by Gmail as your new email address to send notifications.
- After choosing or entering the alternate email address, click on the send verification email option. Now, Google will be sending Gmail account deletion confirmation email to the chosen secondary address.
- Log into the secondary email address and look for the mail from Google. It will be having the subject as “Security alert for your linked Google account”.
- Open this email and click on the Gmail account deletion link seen in the email.
- You might be sometime prompted to log in to the Gmail account that you are going to delete.
- Now, it will once again ask whether you want to permanently delete the email@example.com address from the Google account.
- You just need to click on the delete Gmail and there will be a warning stating that the step cannot be undone.
- Just give your nod for the deletion of the chosen Gmail account and the messages and all data associated with that email address will be gone.
Removing Gmail account from Android phone
You can also cancel a particular Gmail account that is of no use to you by using your Android devices. There is no need for you to get access to a computer or a laptop to cancel a Gmail email account. It can be done on your phone and the steps involved in the deletion of a Gmail account are as follows:
- Locate the Settings app on the home screen of your phone and press on it.
- Scroll down to locate the Accounts option and tap on it to open up all accounts on the phone.
- Tap on Google and then choose the Gmail account that you want to get rid of.
- Once you tap on it, there will be a few options that show up on the popup window on the mobile screen. Choose the remove account option and tap on it.
- You would get a notification that if the Gmail account is deleted all its messages, contacts and other information related to it will get deleted from the phone.
- As you are looking to cancel the Gmail account, just choose the remove account option seen below this notification.
- Wait for two minutes and the particular Gmail account would be removed from your mobile.
How to delete unwanted contacts from Gmail?
If you are looking to delete a contact from your Gmail address book or the Google contacts list, then the procedure to do it very simple and easy. It only takes a few steps. Since the Gmail email address and password is used to sign in to various services offered by Google, you can cancel the contact details on Google and it will also be reflected in Gmail.
- Sign in to the Gmail account with your username and password.
- Once you are inside your Gmail account, click on the Google apps icon on the top right-hand corner of the page.
- There will be a drop-down menu of all Google services that the Gmail account is linked with.
- Look for the contacts option and press on it.
- A new contacts.google.com page will get opened on a new browser.
- Just check the contacts that you would like to remove from this Gmail account. Click inside the checkbox all the contacts that you would like to remove.
- Afterward, press the three dots option seen on the right top corner of the contacts page from the drop menu to show up.
- Press on the delete option and give the confirmation to delete. The chosen contacts will now get deleted from you’re the Gmail account contacts list.