The Gmail password is a very important tool that will help you gain access to the emails in your Gmail email account. If you do not have the Gmail password for your email address, you will not be able to login to your account. There are certain times when you forget your password. Gmail will help in creating a new password or help to recover your password.
How to recover Gmail login password?
If you are not able to sign in to your Gmail account and this is because of forgetting the password, then Google gives you a chance to recover your password. The step by step instruction to get your password back is as follows:
- Open the web browser and type gmail.com in the address bar.
- Enter the email address in the space provided and then click the Next button.
- Now, you are directed to the password section. As you do not remember your password, leave the space for the password option blank and click on the ‘forgot password’ option under this space.
- You will be taken to the password recovery page where Gmail will ask you to enter the last password that you remember for that particular account.
- If you do not remember any of your previous passwords, move on click on the Try a different question option.
- After you get the question and provide an answer to it, you should click the Next button.
Now, you are directed to the account verification page. Here, you might be asked to enter your phone number that is associated with the Gmail account that you had given while signing up for the Gmail account. You can also choose to enter the alternate email address that you had submitted while signing up so that Gmail could send the verification code or the password to it. Once you get the verification code, you need to enter it in the space provided for the same on the verification page. After this, click the next option.
- If the code you entered is matched, Gmail will take you to a new password creation page for the same email address.
- You now need to enter a new strong password that contains both capital and small letters, numbers, and special characters in the ‘Create password’ option.
- Repeat the same password in the confirm password type box and then press the Change Password option.
- After this, you might get a notification from Gmail that the password recovery is completed and the new password is assigned to your Gmail username. Finally, press the Continue option to sign in to Gmail email account using the new password.
Sign in to Gmail
After you have created the new Gmail password, it is always a good option to sign in to Gmail account to check if the new password is working or not.
- Visit gmail.com sign in page using your favorite web browser.
- Once you are on the page, enter the username that will be firstname.lastname@example.org.
- After entering the username, click the Next option.
- You will now be in the password page. Enter the newly created password correctly in the space provided. Be careful about using the correct characters that you had entered when recreating your password.
- After this, click on the Next option. If the details you entered are correct, you will get instant access to your Gmail inbox.
How to create Gmail password using Gmail app?
The following is the procedure to create a password through the Gmail app on your phone. Locate the Gmail app icon on the phone’s home screen. If you are using the Gmail app on the phone for the first time, then you will need to first setup email account on the phone. Tap on the Add an email address option.
After this, tap on the Google icon and enter the email address in the space provided. Key in your email address that will read as email@example.com. After entering your Gmail email address. Tap on the Next option.
- In the following page, you will find the password option and the space to enter the password. As you are looking to create a new password, tap on the option below that says ‘Forgot password?’
- The app would ask you to enter the last password that you remember for the Gmail account. If you know any of the older passwords, then type it in the space provided or else click on the ‘More options’.
- There will a new screen with a few options show on the mobile screen. You can choose any one of the following.
- Enter the email address that you can check quickly.
- Confirm a text to a phone number linked with your Gmail account.
- Confirm an email message to the email address linked with this Gmail account.
- Confirm an email to the recovery email account that you might have created.
- Choose any one of the options. If you opt for the alternate email address, then you will get a code to reset your password in that email. Check it on the alternate email address.
- If you have chosen to get a password using the phone number, then a verification code will be sent to your phone.
- Enter this code in the space provided on the Gmail password setup page.
- Now, you will be taken to the page where you are asked for a new password. Enter any password that you like which is easy to remember yet is a strong one. It must have a minimum of 8 characters.
- You also need to key in his password once again under the confirm password option and finally click the Next button.
- Tap on the ‘I Agree’ option on the next page and your password gets recovered.
You can now sign into your old Gmail username with a new password.