Gmail is an email service developed by Google. It is entirely free and allows the user to send and receive different types of emails along with graphics and pictures from different devices. It also has an extensive message storage facility and chat service.
How to create a new Gmail account?
If you do not have a Gmail account, you can create one easily by visiting google.com. Enter google.com in the address bar. This would open the homepage of Google. On the top left corner, you will be able to see the option Gmail from a list of services. Click on it and you will get the page with an option “Create Account”. Click on the “Create Account” button and a new window will open that shows all the Sign-Up details required. First, you will have fields for entering your first and last name. The name you enter will appear on the emails you sent so you should provide the names accordingly.
- Next, you have to enter a username. If the username you enter already exists then you will be provided with few suggestions with some changes. You can either choose from the suggestions offered or try entering a different username until it gets accepted.
- In the next field, you have to enter a password of 8 or more characters. You can add numbers and periods to make it stronger. Retype the password to confirm it.
- Now you have fields to enter your date of birth and gender. Next, you will be asked to enter your mobile number and current email address. You need to enter your phone number and current email address. If you do not have any other email address you can leave this field blank.
- Now you will have an option to set Google as your homepage. You can select it if you want Google page to appear whenever you open the browser.
- The last option is “Location” wherein you have to select the country name if it is not selected by default. Now click on “Next Step”.
- You will get a window with Privacy and Terms. Scroll down and click on “Agree” to proceed.
- Next, you will get a window that says “Verify your account”. Here you will be able to see your mobile number which you had provided in the earlier step. There will be an option to select the method of receiving the security codes. You can select the first option if you want the codes via SMS and second option if you want it by voice call. Click on “Continue”.
- Now you will get a field to enter the verification code you have received. Click on “continue” after entering the correct code.
- If you have provided the right code your account registration process will be successful and you will get a Welcome message. There will be an option at the center of the page – “Continue to Gmail”. Click on it and you can proceed to your inbox.
How to remain signed into your Gmail account?
Once you have a Gmail account, you can log in and log out whenever needed. However, if you want to frequently access your emails on your private device or PC, you can skip the login process by following the steps mentioned below.
- Enter gmail.com in the address bar of your browser. This would open the Sign In page. Enter the username in the field provided. Click on the “Next” button to proceed.
- In the next page, you have to enter your password. Make sure that the Caps Lock key is turned off before typing in the password. After entering the password you should activate the option “Stay Signed In”. You can find it below the “Sign In” button.
- Click on the checkbox and activate the option “Stay Signed In”. Now click on the “Sign In” button.
- If you haven’t provided a phone number or alternate email ID while creating your Gmail account you will get a window for entering these details. You can enter the details or click on the option “Done” to finish the Sign in process.
While activating the “Stay Signed In” option the browser will remember your username and password and directly take you to your inbox whenever you enter gmail.com in your address bar. Hence, you need to ensure the safety of your account to avoid unauthorized access.
How to sign out from your Gmail account?
In the above section, we have seen the steps to remain signed into your Gmail account. To deactivate this option you need to sign out from your Account. It is important to sign out if your PC is accessible to others or if you are using a shared device for checking your emails. Follow the steps below to sign out from your Gmail account.
- Enter gamil.com in your browser and log into your account. If you had activated the option “Stay Signed In” you will be directly taken to your Inbox.
- Once your inbox has loaded, on the top right corner you will be able to see a small round profile icon. If you had added an image to your profile, you will be able to see the image inside the icon. Click on it.
- When you click on it, a small window would open with an option “Sign Out” on the right corner. Click on it and you will be logged out within a few seconds.
Note that after you have signed out from your account, you will not be able to open the account from the same browser without logging in using your username and password.